The Arizona Chapter of STC mentorship program is available for students and professionals.
The benefits of mentoring are many. Our mentoring program helps students beginning their professional careers as well as working professionals. Mentors provide detailed information on how to obtain goals and develop new skills.
For new STC members, the mentor/mentee connection is a valuable connection to make.
Serving as a mentor or becoming a mentee can help you build your career and expand your professional network. With this, you gain knowledge and perspective on the workplace, as well as tremendous personal satisfaction.
What does the STC mentor/mentee relationship look like?
- Find your path. For students, connecting with a seasoned professional will lay the groundwork for your new TC journey.
- Share current projects. Show each other what you’re working on, and critique and discuss your approaches to the projects.
- Review professional development and training. What options are available through STC for professional development?
- Contribute co-authored content to the Technical Communication Body of Knowledge (the TC-BOK, an online repository of knowledge in the profession).
- Attend an STC webinar together. This could be a good opportunity for both of you to learn something new!
- Look at the job market together. It’s a great way to learn about the current state of the profession.
- Start a mentor-mentee book club. Read a book on technical communication and meet to tell each other what you thought.
- Go to an STC chapter meeting together and meet some new technical communicators!
- Get more involved in STC. Join a SIG together and ask if they have any work that needs to be done. (They will say yes!)
Find more information on the STC Mentor board page.
Sign Up for Mentorship Program
If you would like to mentor a student or professional looking to start or transition to a new field, we invite you to volunteer as a mentor.
On the STC Mentor Signup Page you elaborate on your background and skills. This will be used to match a mentee that is aligned with your skills and experience. Certain fields on the Mentorship Form are required and others are optional. The more detail you can provide, the better the match made with a mentee looking for your background and expertise.
Mentees, please complete the STC Mentee Signup Page. The Mentee Form captures your bio. This is used to match you with a mentor that aligns with your personal and professional goals. Certain fields are required and others are optional, but it is encouraged to provide as much detail as you feel comfortable with.